The wind orchestra from Vevče (part of Slovenian capital Ljubljana) has a rich tradition. It was established in 1900 and from then on it has grown in number of its members and developed in quality. Its outstanding reputation has crossed the Slovenian borders so they are known in most of the European countries. Many of recognized Slovenian musicians have started their career and obrained the basic knowledge in playing at The Papirnica Vevče wind orchestra. At the present orchestra has around 80 active members.
The Papirnica Vevče wind orchestra was awarded for their professional and high quality performance many times in their rich history. To mention only some of the awards:
- Silver plaquette from the city of Ljubljana in 1973
- Decoration of merit for the nation with silver rays in 1975
- Golden plaquette (the highest award of The Slovenian association of cultural organizations for achievements in the musical field) in 1980
- Golden plaquettes on the Contests of Slovenian wind orchestras (concert level) in 1977, 1981, 1985, 1990, 1991
- Silver plaquette at the World championship of the amateur wind orchestras in Kerkrade, Netherlands, in the category of concert play in 1989 and 1993
- Golden plaquette at the World championship of the amateur wind orchestras in Kerkrade, Netherlands, in the category of playing in movement in 1993
- The award from the city of Ljubljana for the promotion of Ljubljana and Slovenia in 2000
- Golden plaquette with Special commendation at the Wind orchestra state championship in the highest - concert level in Trbovlje in 2003
- Third award on International competition Flicorno d'Oro in Riva del Garda, Italy, in first category in 2005
The Papirnica Vevče wind orchestra performs also at various festivals and events in and out of Slovenia. Recently the orchestra has charmed the audience in Italy, Austria, Germany, Croatia, Denmark, Hungary Czech Republic and in Belgium. All success is based on the professional and devoted leadership of the orchestra and high level of motivation from all of the musicians.
The Papirnica Vevče wind orchestra is especially proud of its own music school for young musicians and newly established drumming group. In 2006 the orchestra has chosen a new conductor, Mr Aljoša Deferri.
Aljoša Deferri was born in Šempeter pri Gorici on 21.11.1971. He finished Lower music school in Nova Gorica in the class of prof. Stojan Ristovski and continued his clarinet studies at Music high school in Ljubljana with prof. Marko Lednik. He graduated with exellence at Academy for music, Ljubljana, in the class of prof. Slavko Goričar.
He got awarded in many state competitons as a soloist and as a member of chamber groups during his study and after. He now works in the Slovene armed forces wind orchestra, where he is concert-master from 1996. He is also a member of Slovene clarinet quartet.
He is profesor of clarinet at Music high school in Ljubljana. He conducted in Gorica Wind orchestra from 1998 to 2001 and from 2002 in Lesce Wind Orchestra. In fall of 2006 he came to conduct in The Papirnica Vevče wind orchestra.
Papirniški pihalni orkester Vevče
Vevška cesta 52
1260 Ljubljana Polje
mobile phone: 00386 41 679 812
Ivan Marinko, president
Aleš Babnik, vice-president
Aljoša Deferri, conductor